- Soluble Fiber Get 10 to 12 grams a day to reduce cholesterol.
- Vitamin D Adult women need 1000 IUs or more a day in supplemental vitamin D to reach optimum blood levels.
- Flavanoids Berries, red grapes, onions, tomatoes, red wine, and cocoa all contain flavanoids, powerful antioxidants that protect blood vessels and even improve blood flow the the brain and heart. Don't overdo the chocolate and wine, though-an ounce of dark chocolate or 5 ounces of wine a day is plenty.
- Folate Getting 300 micrograms or more a day may lower your risk of stroke, as well as your risk for a heart attack. Leafy green such as kale, spinach, and broccoli are your best sources. Most multivitamin have about 400 micrograms of folic acid.
- Antioxidants Make sure you it from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts. Stay away from supplements that can be harmful for your health.
- Soy Consuming about 25 grams a day of soy protein reduces your risk for heart disease. Good sources are tofu, edamame, soy nuts, and soy milk.
- Fish Oil Eating two serving (3 ounces each) per week of fatty fish such as salmon or sardines or taking fish oil supplements (1 gram a day) can decrease your risk of having heart attack or stroke by one-third.
6 months ago