Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Schwa Accent

I have learned a new sound today along with my DD. This pertains to the vowels. Schwa a toneless unstressed neutral vowel sound in some languages like American English.

An example is wagon. The word has two syllables and the accented syllable is wag. The unaccented syllable is on, and becomes short /un/ instead of short /on/ because we say it softly.

Now with the word garden. First syllable gar has the accented sound, and den has the schwa sound. It is pronounced with short /dun/ instead of short /den/.

And here is the symbol for the schwa sound /ə/, an upside down e. DD was asking me what it was the first time we got the letter tiles, and I could not answer her. Today we found out what it is for. What have you learned today?

I have a question, how do you make the sign for short vowel sound? I can do the long vowel sound but I can't find what to use for the short vowel sounds. Anyone can tell me which one to use.


3sna said...

i know this sounds silly, but can you make a long vowel while you burp? lol...

3sna's latest post Commercializing in Education

Nedekcir said...

So, what is the sign for it?

*MrsMartinez* said...

it's like learning english101 again! very educational! xoxo

Nedekcir said...

Thanks MM for stopping by.